Saturday, April 22, 2017

Final Days

It's my last post of the program and I cannot believe how quickly these months have past. July seemed like yesterday when I arrived, bright-eyed to New Orleans. Since then, I have made great friends and lived alone. I have learned fantastic study techniques and challenged myself with difficult coursework. The Tulane Pharmacology staff and medical school community have taught me the values of caring for one another and pursuing progression in the scientific field.

New Orleans is a small, big town filled with many characters from all walks of life. No matter the socioeconomic status, race, religion or career, everyone in the city is friendly and has a zest for life. (and a zest for crawfish- which I had so much of at the Pharm department crawfish boil this month!)

I was first involved with tutoring for the New Orleans Science and Mathematics Charter High School. There, I mentored students in an upper biology course and assisted in classroom experiments. Many of the students were keen on learning about science, but needed aid in how to approach topics. A few were not as interested and needed motivation, but proved to have fantastic academic prowess. I am delighted that I was able to use my own knowledge to better these children and connect with them on a personal level as well.

In November, I started volunteering regularly at the Ozanam Inn homeless shelter. It is a bit closer to my home downtown as I do not have a car and our schedule in the program tends to vary. I have made close connections with these men who come from various backgrounds: prison, foster homes, living on the streets. They are extremely kind and love to joke in each other's company, and are welcoming to all of the volunteers and medical students who come to assist. I enjoy relieving them from their daily duties and assisting in food handouts whenever possible so that they can have a break from being up since 5am.

The volunteering, academic duties and social engagements that I have had here are unparalleled.
I thank Tulane for allowing me to have a memorable and successful year.

Hours this month: 13
Total hours this semester: 30
Total hours this school year: 60

No comments:

Post a Comment