Wednesday, March 1, 2017

February Festivities

First and foremost, I am very proud of my classmates and members of Louisiana who volunteered their time to help tornado victims. Not far from where I live, a tornado struck down in early February that ruined the homes of many New Orleanians. The efforts from those in the community to provide relief are truly remarkable.

February in New Orleans also meant the coming of Mardi Gras. I was fortunate to witness this cultural event that brought together the community and traffic! I volunteered at the Ozanam Inn homeless shelter and was so happy to see other members of New Orleans engage in philanthropic effort. A group of lawyers had joined together to cook a ton of jambalaya, red beans, rice and chicken for those who work and stay at the shelter. A new round of regular workers just started employment there in January. While I am saddened to not see my old friends anymore, I'm proud to make acquaintance with a new set of guys who are making the. Eat for themselves and helping others.

The Inn was closed on Mardi Gras. However, I dropped off parade beads that I caught over the weekend. There were probably nearly 80 or so beads in total and I believe that it would raise the men's spirits. I'm looking forward to the shelf exam next month, and will be studying vigorously for that! The program is coming to a close and we have already finished the Principles course. A crawfish broil for the class, and more volunteering opportunities, are to come soon.

Total hours: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment